If you are looking to create a new website in Kenya, you might have come across co.ke domain and wondered:
- What is co.ke domain
- How much does it cost
- Where and how to get it cheaply
If you are looking for answers to the above questions, you are in the right place.
In this guide, I will walk you through everything you need to know.
Let’s get started, shall we?
What is a co.ke domain?
Before I answer this question, allow me to walk you through what a domain name is first.
A domain name is the address of a website. This is what people usually type into the URL section of their web browser when searching for one particular website.
If you want to access Facebook on your web browser, you normally type in www.facebook.com or FB.com.
Well, Facebook.com/fb.com is the domain name.
Bebahost.co.ke is the domain name.
I hope that is clear now.
Going back to co.ke domain: from our two examples above, the first example ends with a .com and the second one ends with .co.ke.
This last part of the domain name is what is known as domain extensions. There are different types of domain extensions but the popular ones are .com, .org, .net, and of course .co.ke. Others include .edu, .aero, .gov.
Continue reading to understand what they all mean
Types of domain name extensions
There four types of domain name extensions
- Generic domain extensions– this is so common in the web today. In a while back, you could only between .com, .org, .net. But recently, I have noticed new entrants like .beer, .online, .blog among others
- Sponsored domain extensions– these are restricted to only selected types of groups and organizations. They include .aero, .gov, and .edu. if you want to register them, you’ll need to meet certain requirements
- Generic-restricted domain extensions– they are like generic domain extensions, but they are restricted to certain types of websites, meaning, if you want to register, you have to provide more information about your website. such extensions include .name and, .pro
- Country code domain extensions– these are domain extensions that are reserved for specific countries. They help identify that a particular site is from this country. .co.ke domain fall in this category, where the prefix KE signals it is a website from Kenya. Other examples include .us for United States, .co.uk for united kindom, .ug for uganda and so on.
I hope I have answered, ‘what is the meaning of co.ke’ Means it is a website from Kenya.
What’s the difference between .com and co.ke domain names?
The first difference is the one we just discussed: .com is a generic domain extension while co.ke domain is country-code domain name extension.
The second difference has to do with how search engines work.
Let me explain.
Web browsers use information about your Wi-Fi access points around you to approximate your location. Alternatively, if there are no Wi-Fi networks around you, your phone of computer IP addresses can do the trick.
Then, search engines pick this location data and serve your answers based on your location.
This is where the country codes like co.ke domain come in. Since this is a country-specific domain extension; you stand a chance of ranking higher on search engine results pages (SERPs) if your domain name contains these type domain extensions.
This point alone highlights the importance of having a co.ke domain name in Kenya.
Generally, domain names can be purchased through a company specializing in domain registrations, for example, GoDaddy, NameCheap among others.
On the other hand, your web hosting provider can handle the registration as well.
And now you are thinking:
How much does co.ke domain name cost?
Truehost is one of the only web hosting companies in Kenya offering the cheapest domain name registration in Kenya.
In fact, some of our web hosting packages come with a free CO.KE domain. Otherwise, the co.ke domain price is KES 499 ONLY on Truehost.
How to register a domain name in Kenya using Truehost
I should first mention that domain name registration always goes with web hosting services. But if you are just trying to secure the name so no one else can take it, then go ahead and follow the following steps.
Not so fast.
Before you perform a domain name search, you first have to come up with potential names for your new website.
As it may sound, domain name idea generation is not an easy task. And to help you ace this process, here are guidelines to consider when choosing a website name
- Should be short and memorable
- Easy to spell and pronounce
- Avoid using hyphens in the domain name, for example, example-name.co.ke
- Consider using a keyword describing your business
- You can use your names, for example, JohnSmith.co.ke
Follow these guidelines to come up with the best domain name for your business.
Once you have a list of potential names, it is time for the name search